Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies are a holiday favorite, bound to make an appearance at any Christmas party or cookie exchange. The simple marriage of peanut butter and chocolate is an irresistible classic. We start with a soft and chewy peanut butter cookie then top each cookie off with a Hershey Kiss – perfection!
This time of year, I always enjoy hearing about the recipes and traditions of my friends and colleagues. Every family seems to have a tradition, whether it be preparing certain foods, picking out a Christmas tree together, or watching Christmas Vacation and laughing every single time. Regardless of how silly many of these traditions may be, they are all unique and special.
While deciding which recipes to include for Shug & Spice holiday baking, I decided to ask many of you about your favorite holiday recipes. Hands down, the most common response was “oooh, I love those cookies with the little Hershey kiss on top.” Let’s be honest, who can resist peanut butter and chocolate together??
My Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies get an extra boost of flavor and flakiness with my newly discovered favorite baking ingredient: European butter! The European-style varieties have a higher butterfat content, which yields more flavor and a flakier texture. On the other hand, traditional American butter (which most of us use) is lower in butterfat and contains more water. In recent years, most supermarkets have started expanding the butter section beyond the usual “salted or “unsalted” to include European, or European-style butters. I used Land O’ Lakes Unsalted European-Style Butter. I highly recommend giving it a try! More fat = more flavor.
Besides extra fancy butter, the recipe includes all the usual suspects: sugar, egg, flour, vanilla, baking soda, etc. For the peanut butter, you want to use creamy and not crunchy to ensure a smooth texture. Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. Did you know that room temperature ingredients actually mix together better cold ingredients?
I recommend chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes (or longer) to avoid the cookies spreading too much. Last but not least, if you want your cookies to be uniform in size (read: prettier) then I would suggest using a kitchen scale to ensure each cookie dough ball weighs the same. I have found that 1 ounce balls make the perfect base for Hershey’s Kisses!
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup tightly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 30+ Hershey's kisses
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or hand-held mixer) combine both sugars, butter, and peanut butter for several minutes until the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and salt and beat until fully mixed.
- Slowly add the flour and baking soda in small batches. Be sure and scrape down all sides of the bowl. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Shape cookie dough into balls about 1 ounce in size (eye ball it, or use a kitchen scale) and place on cookie sheet with enough room for the cookies to spread slightly.
- Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes or until they are just barely golden brown on top. Once you remove the cookies from the oven, immediately press 1 Hershey's Kiss in the center of each cookie. Allow to cool and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?! Happy Holidays and happy baking!
Life is a kitchen, so put on your prettiest apron and whip up something incredible!